Introduction for Paneer Butter Masala:
Paneer Butter Masala, also known as Paneer Makhani, is a popular Indian vegetarian dish made with soft cubes of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cooked in a rich and creamy tomato-based gravy. It is a perfect comfort food for any occasion and loved by many.
In this article, we will provide you with a simple yet delicious Paneer Butter Masala recipe that you can easily prepare at home.
How to make paneer at home:
Paneer is a type of fresh cheese that is widely used in Indian cuisine. It is a rich source of protein and is commonly used in vegetarian dishes as a substitute for meat. Paneer is made by curdling milk with the help of an acidic agent like lemon juice, vinegar, or yogurt.
The process of making paneer from milk is relatively simple and can be done at home with just a few ingredients. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make paneer:
- 1 liter full-fat milk
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- Heat 1 liter of full-fat milk in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat. Stir the milk occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce the heat and add 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar. Stir the milk gently and you will notice the milk starting to curdle.
- Continue to stir the milk gently until the whey (liquid part) and the curd (solid part) separate completely.
- Once the whey turns transparent and the curd becomes firm, turn off the heat.
- Line a strainer or colander with a clean cheesecloth or muslin cloth and pour the curdled milk into it. Gather the corners of the cloth and gently squeeze out the excess whey.
- Rinse the paneer under running water to remove the sourness of the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Squeeze out the excess water and tie the cloth tightly. Place the paneer on a flat surface and keep a heavy object on top of it. This will help to remove any remaining water and make the paneer firm.
- After 30-40 minutes, remove the weight and take out the paneer from the cloth.
- Cut the paneer into small cubes or desired shape.
Homemade paneer is ready to be used in various recipes. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Paneer made from cow’s milk is the most commonly used paneer, but you can also use goat milk or buffalo milk to make paneer.
Making paneer from milk is an easy and quick process that can be done at home with just a few ingredients. Homemade paneer is fresh, soft, and has a creamy texture. It is a healthy alternative to store-bought paneer and can be used in a variety of dishes.
Paneer Butter Masala Recipe:
- 200g Paneer, cut into cubes
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnishing
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan on medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the paneer cubes and fry them until they turn light golden brown. Once done, remove the paneer cubes from the pan and keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté the chopped onions until they turn translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Add the red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the spices are cooked, turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Once the mixture cools down, blend it in a blender to make a smooth puree.
- Return the puree to the pan and add fresh cream and milk. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fried paneer cubes and kasuri methi. Mix gently and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with naan, roti, or rice.
Paneer Butter Masala is ready to be served. This dish can be made in advance and reheated before serving. It is a perfect party dish and can be enjoyed with family and friends.
In conclusion, this simple and delicious Paneer Butter Masala recipe is perfect for those who love rich and creamy Indian dishes. It is easy to make and can be customized according to your taste preferences. Give it a try and enjoy this flavorful dish with your loved ones!